Sunday, May 18, 2014

IP: Music

In the past 2 months, I have seen 2 of my favorite singers live. Jillette Johnson is my absolute favorite, and Ingrid Michaelson is in the top 3 along with Jillette and Sara Bareilles.

Jillette Johnson: 3/3
Jillette opened for Wakey!Wakey! at First Ave here in Minneapolis in early April. As usual, she had a meet and greet with fans after the show. There weren't too many people clamoring to meet her, so I got to chat with her for a few minutes. Since I'd last seen her in concert in September, I'd come to realize and accept that I'm gay. Her song Cameron, an LGBT acceptance anthem, really helped me with it. So I told her that and she was so cool. She wanted to know all about my coming out and she said she was really honored that her song touched me like that because that's the dream of every artist to write something that has that big of an impact. She said she plans to keep coming back to Minneapolis because she loves it here. I'm already counting down to her next performance here in late June for Cities 97. The 11x14 photos I got signed are pictures I took at previous concerts I've attended. On the 1, she inscribed "You are a Real Live Human." It's 1 of the main lines in her song Cameron.






Ingrid Michaelson: 5/5
Ingrid Michaelson had a free show and signing at Mall of America on April 25th. She had a show at First Ave the next day, but tickets sold out before I could get one. She signed up to 4 albums. I got 1 signed for me, and then got some signed for a couple friends. I have 1 extra if anyone would like to buy it. I was also able to snag her set list that was taped to the stage when the crew was tearing down the set up. She was happy to sign that too. I told her I loved her video for Girls Chase Boys. If you haven't seen it, you must. The way it flips gender roles is amazing.








No comments:

Post a Comment